Served in an army, led by General Hull, that marched to Detroit at the start of the War of 1812. During the march, Findlay was ordered to erect a fort on the Blanchard River in Northwest Ohio. A stockade 50 yards square, with a blockhouse at each corner, was erected and named in his honor. The fort was used as a supply depot. Pioneers laid out the village of Findlay in 1821, near the site of the fort and the rest is history – as they say.
Findlay was born in Pennsylvania in 1770 and moved to Cincinnati in 1793 with his wife. He was a member of Ohio state house of representatives, 1803; mayor of Cincinnati, Ohio, 1805-06, 1810-11; U.S. Representative from Ohio 1st District, 1825-33; candidate for Governor of Ohio, 1834.
The Findlay family donated land in Cincinnati that is used to house the popular Findlay Market today.
(b. 1770 – d. 1835: soldier, politician)